Sunday, February 21, 2010

Daddy, why do you go off to war?

So tonight, my daughter asks me that through tears. Then she asks me if they "force" me to be in the Army. She can't quite understand why I would take a job that causes me to be separated from her.

I can't think of why I'd choose a career like that either.

"Daddy, what happens if you die at war?"

That was a tough one.

I told her that I'd be in heaven (at least I hope to be), and that she could always pray to me and that I would do my best to watch over her. I also told her that I would be preparing a place for her there in heaven, and that I would be waiting for her when her time came.

That seemed to relieve some of her distress.

That whole conversation just breaks my heart. How do I keep working at something that I know causes my family pain? Is it the right thing to do to "defend" the country? Are we really under attack anymore? What else could I be doing with my life? Do I have any other skills? What would I do if I get out of the military?

This has been my life now for the past 15+ years...but I am begining to wonder if I have 5 or 15 left.

At times like these I wonder if my father ever felt this way. He didn't say much when I was growing up...still doesn't now. Maybe I should ask him.

Did he ever second guess himself? Lay awake at night wondering if he was doing the right thing as a father?

How am I supposed to be the point man for my family when I am not even sure if we are on the right path?

No comments:

Post a Comment