Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You could get a job as a middle manager!

Last weekend we visited with my folks.

It was nice to see them again. We both met in Albany, NY (half-way point), and enjoyed a weekend with the kids playing in the hotel pool, dining together, mass, and a day of walking around the local mall.

While we were in the mall, my dad and I were chatting about his latest retirement, his unfinished doctoral thesis, the volunteering he does now at the local hospital, how he has breakfast and a coffee at a local bakery, etc.

Then the conversation turned to me.

I have between 5 and 15 years left in the Army. Five more and I am eligible to retire and 15 more and they kick me out. So, my dad and I got to talking about my options upon retirement.

He told me that he was sure I could get hired to a position in middle management - since that was really what I was doing now.

Ouch!

I thought I was leading troops...being a Soldier...defending freedom...but in reality I am just a middle manager much like anyone else who has clawed their way into middle management (wasn't that an old Monster.com commercial?)

I don't see that as my inspiration in life. I still want to set the world on fire...I want to make a difference in the world!

Or am I looking at this wrong...is in not about me? Maybe it is about my children, and about what example I set for them and not about what I accomplish or don't. Maybe it is time to quit being selfish about "my" career and instead set my sights on being a fantastic father and husband.

If I make that my career goal...hmmm...that really makes me pause to think.

How about you? What do you prioritize? Are we all wrong? Would the world be a better place is we fathers placed our families first and didn't worry about chasing prestige, power, or more money and material possessions?

What really matters in life...stuff (that we can't take with us anyway), or the example we set for our children?

Is middle management the measure of my success? Or should my goal be that I set a good Christian example for my children to emulate?

I think I just answered my own question.

No comments:

Post a Comment