Sunday, March 7, 2010

Close encounter with the homeless

Today was a day of days!

If anyone reads this post, know that it is not a boast as I do not seek to build up treasure for myself here on earth...what happened today was truly the work of Christ.

I am also writing this blog because I find it easier to write than to talk sometimes (I am introverted), and I need to get this down on paper. This is really me having a conversation with myself, rather than telling a friend about what happened.

I had to take a business trip this morning, and so I was awake at 0315 to take a 0600 flight. I flew into Dulles to catch a 0730 flight. Well, that didn't happen. The flight was delayed for 30 minutes, then another 30, then 45 more, etc...until we ended up with an extra 4 hours on the ground.

But I wasn't in the least bit upset. I had prayed the Rosary on the way to the airport, and then prayed the "Morning Hours" while on the flight.

I was calm. My day was going well so far since it was centered on God.

And, truth be told I was feeling a little bit smug since I had managed to pray early...so I gave the day up to God. Haha, I thought...what a good Christian am I!

I used the 4 hours on the ground to read all of "Be a Man", by Fr. Larry Richards. I recommend it to all the men in your life. It was motivating, challenging and thought provoking...all with the aim of making you a better Christian Man. What could be better than that? Besides, Fr. Larry challenged us in the book to give our days over to God...not our will but "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Besides, praying everyday has really brought me peace...imagine what more I'll be getting now that I am "giving the day up to God"! {Whoo...I can hardly wait!}

I got to my business location with plenty of daylight to "recon" the area.

As I was pulling in to my morning meeting location, I noticed a homeless person on the corner in front of a Ruby Tuesday's. It was a busy intersection, and seemed odd since there weren't any other homeless folks to be seen nearby. It has been my experience (namely El Paso and Washington DC), that you often see each street corner with someone else begging on it. Little did I know what God had in store for me since I had finally (in 40 years) asked him what he wanted from me...what was "His" will today?

Now, I have a weakness (well one of many). I am very judgmental. I often blame a person who is homeless for making poor choices in life and thus getting what they deserve.

But looking at this old guy bothered me. I drove around a bit more, but kept coming back to the thought of this old guy on the corner and how I REALLY ought to act if I were a Christian. I like to say I am...I pray...but what have I done? Talk is cheap, afterall.

What would Christ have done? What would he want me to do? I thought about the Song of St. Francis "Make me a channel of your peace".

I eventually pulled into the Ruby Tuesday's parking lot and paused for a moment. I know I needed to talk to this guy...but I was afraid. What would I say? I am an introvert by nature. I have a hard enough time talking to people I know! Besides, what would people think if they saw me chatting with a "bum" on the corner? Then again who cares? What would Christ think if I ignored him?

But I felt the Lord calling me, so I turned off the car, said a prayer, got out and walked over to him.

Only, it wasn't a man. It was a woman who looked to be in her 60s as I got closer. My heart was racing...I had no idea what I would say...

So, I said "hello". I asked if there was something I could get for her...was she hungry? Thirst?

She said no, someone had just given her something go eat.

I have never been willing to give people money...didn't want them to waste it...but I had to overcome that prejudice...Jesus was asking me to (yes, there is a danger in giving your day up to the Lord...if you really tell him you want to follow him...he'll ask you to :)

I asked her what she needed, and she said she was homeless...that the shelters don't let you stay very long until you need to leave for a few days.

I told her I couldn't give her a home, but I handed her $10 and told her that was for her next meal...and that I wished I could do more. She started to cry and thanked me. I started to cry too, said good-bye and walked away.

I drove off to look for a church...I needed some time to pray. $10 didn't seem like "crap" to give a woman who had nothing. What kind of coward was I?

I had my wife's GPS with me...so I tried to find a Catholic Church to spend some time with the Blessed Sacrament and ask for some more guidance since I felt like I had failed miserable in my first attempt. This was the first time in my life I have ever spoken with someone who was homeless...I know...pretty pathetic for someone pretending to follow Christ.

Well...the trusty GPS took me to a strip mall, but no church. Across the street, however, were a couple of motels...Budget and a Super 8. I could feel the Holy Spirit moving me, so I drove back to where the woman was.

I knew my wife would think I was crazy, but I was going to pay for this woman's hotel room until she was able to get back to the shelter. I figured it was the least I could do, and we who are so blessed are obligated to feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, etc.

I pulled back into Ruby Tuesday's, shut off the car, said a prayer and walked back out to her.

Only this time, I asked the Holy Spirit to speak through me, since obviously I wasn't any good on my own.

I said, "hey! I'm back!"...I told her that I wanted to put her up in a hotel, if she'd be willing, until she could get back to the shelter. She asked if there were strings attached...I told her no...it was only by the grace of God that I wasn't without a home, and I that I just wanted her to have a place to rest for a couple of days.

She hesitated, and politely declined my offer.

I introduced myself and asked her what her name was..."Leigh", she said.

We chatted for a few minutes about her life, and then I asked her again if I could find her shelter, or get her anything else.

"No, nothing", she said.

I said goodbye again, and she said "God Bless You"..."most people never even stop to talk to me, or understand how hard this is. I never wanted to end up this way."

I left and knew I had to do something for her...even is she was too proud to accept much more than small handouts.

I drove to Walmart. I figured a gift card would be a good idea...then she could get whatever she needed.

I bought her an Easter card too. It took me a long time to find the right one. What sort of card to do give to someone who's homeless? Happy Easter! Hope the Bunny is Good to You??!? When did Easter Cards become so meaningless? Where have I been?

I finally found one that I thought said what she needed to hear (OK...truth be told the Holy Spirit chose it not me) and I wrote a note in there for her.

I bought 2x$50 gift cards and put them in the card.

I drove back to Ruby Tuesday's...but Leigh was gone.

I panicked...but then I saw her at the strip mall (behind the restaurant)...I drove up to her and said, "Leigh, I am not crazy, and I am not stalking you...(although I am sure she was beginning to wonder)...but I have something for you. I know you didn't want to ask me for anything, but I can see that you are in need. So, please take this...it is not from me but from Jesus. He asked me to give it to you."

I couldn't believe I was saying that...but it felt like it wasn't me who was speaking...and it seemed like it was what she needed to hear...she started to cry again (as did I)...she told me to take care of myself and that Jesus was keeping a place for me in heaven...I told her that he was keeping one for her as well.

Then she turned and walked away.

How many days have I wasted my life by being selfish? How many times have I not seen Jesus in those around me?

Lord forgive me for being so blind.

Lord help me to be a better man.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this.... Really.
    It really spoke to me that truly - every single thing we do (or don't do) matters.
    That God can use us in every - single - situation.
    Who knows how this one day changed the course of this woman's life.
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what to say. You are amazing. Thank you for stepping outside that box and reaching out to her. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you even more :)

    ReplyDelete